Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Well, finally! School is out, and I and get some real work done.

To wit, I attended the bi-annual quilt retreat with MissVicki two weeks ago. I love the way it always falls around my birthday…extra cupcakes and good friends….can you think of a better way to spend your day? Me neither. Oh, wait, there’s always the 6’4” blonde masseuse named Sven who wants to give me a deep tissue massage. Yeah, that’s better than cupcakes.

First up is an apron for my Aunt Patsy’s granddaughter. Patsy said, “Just whip something up. You know, with ruffles on the shoulders.” That “whipping up “thing doesn’t happen for me but okay, I’ll go for it. I had a basic idea and then just kept sewing…


  Next up, this pouch for my friend Lisa. Vicki was throwing away the edges from her strip quilt so I snagged them (dumpster diver!) and put them together to form the front patchwork. I thought I’d try the tutorial by Noodlehead. Yep, I like her style…I think I’m going to put her Go Anywhere Bag on my “to do” list.

Last, a quilt for my cousin Dan and his wife Colleen. The poor girl was due on the 7th and she’s still waiting for the baby to pop. I made this one a few years back and Colleen was so appreciative it was amazing. You know, when someone gushes that it’s a handmade gift and then sends you pictures at Christmas of the baby on her “favorite” quilt. Yep, those are the people to whom you say, “hey, when you’re crazy enough to pop out another one, let me know!”

It started with a Swoon block, and I let it develop organically from there; a special thanks to the retreat ladies who were supportive of my quilting without rules or a pattern! It’s still a little constrained, but I do like it and I was able to let myself BE creative. Ohm. 

7 comments:

  1. look at you and your amazing sewing prowess! love the apron you whipped up, and i bet she LOVES it too! i have the go anywhere pattern on my to do list, i really should make myself a new bag sometime soon... love the quilt you made too, i laughed at your description of them loving it so much. those are the best kinds of people to make things for! and thank you for your fantasy description of sven... i bet your imaginary massage was delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you are climbing back on the sewing mojo train Duff! Love that apron!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The apron is adorable - so cute and girly. Love the giraffe fabric on the quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love the baby quilt! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "those are the best kinds of people to make things for!" . . . depending on the time spent and the cost of materials used, sometimes it seems like those are the ONLY people worth making things for!! Great job. I love all of those projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little pouch and the quilt, too! I have a baby quilt on the agenda for this summer and and expanded Swoon would be a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like a woman who asks for scraps (and knows how to play a cucumber in a grocery store *ahem*) - my friend and I have standing reservations for each other's scraps, and in fact, when she comes to visit me, the first thing she always does is dive into my scrap bin, LOL. I have another friend who doesn't use scraps but who saves me hers - I am a lucky lucky lady (especially since friend #2 pretty much only shops @ quilt stores - SCORE!) :)

    Your apron is adorable, and so is your scrappy pouch - make sure you try Anna's wide open bag - it's great too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts become things...choose good ones♥