Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Wonky/Free-Piecing/Liberated/Improv Quilting

I was thinking about improv quilting today . . .

Last summer, I was making a table runner for my mom that was essentially a rectangular log cabin. The pattern instructed me to cut each piece a specific length. As I was cutting, I was thinking, “Why can’t I just sew this on and then cut it? What’s the big deal?” Did I? No. Why not? A number of reasons. Most specifically, trust and assumption. If the authors say to cut it in specific lengths then they must’ve tried the other way and it didn’t work out for some reason; surely they would have found the fastest, easiest way to do this! Onward, upward, cut, cut, cut.

Another reason is because rules have a way of making us feel safe, as though without them there would be absolute anarchy. But I made my mind up when I started this blog that I am going to take chances (and eat breakfast foods in any order I want). We are here to create, right? Therefore, I’m not going to start another project without forcing myself to make an entirely un-thought-out, whimsical, perhaps epic-failure, piece of quilting awesomeness.

Like chicken soup for the quilter’s soul.

Or a kick in the arse.

Both of which I need.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Em

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts become things...choose good ones♥